Like you I was puzzled because Business Data Web Part was Missing in our SharePoint 2013 Farm. We did all that is required for these web parts to show.
- Our Farm License is Enterprise License
- “SharePoint Server Enterprise Site Collection features” is activated at the Site Collection level
- We even tried activating Enterprise Site Collection Feature from Central Administration Central Administration > Operation > Upgrade and Migration > Enable Enterprise Features.
- Though we got a Category “Business Data” Only Indicator web part was listed there.
- We again tried to activate BizAppsSiteTemplate Enable-SPFeature “4248E21F-A816-4c88-8CAB-79D82201DA7B” -URL http://<your-site>
- Still no luck.
After activating SharePoint Server Enterprise Site Collection Features , I could see .webpart and dwp files in Web Part Gallery.
So I guessed the issue is no about the missing Feature but some Sort of security filtering. A quick look at the WebPartAdder class in reflector confirmed my theory (Web Part list is rendered based on Licencing), Though we have enterprise licencing, I remember we added a new set of Licencing to our Farm for our Office Web Apps Installation.
So I turned to powershell and ran this command, which listed all Licenses we have
PS C:\Users> Get-SPUserLicense
Then when I ran Get-SPUserLicenseMapping, I figured OfficeWebAppsEdit was set to the Farm for Domain Users, I guess this happened when we were configuring Office Web Apps. Sp I tried adding Enterprise License to all Domain Users using following command. Which fixed the issues.
$a = New-SPUserLicensing -SecurityGroup “Domain Users” -license Enterprise
Add-SPUserLicenseMapping -mapping $a
Hope this helps someone.